Full Text of Japan-Iran Joint Statement
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Tokyo- (PanOrient News) The following is the full text of the joint statement released after the talks of Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in Tokyo on March 5, 2014:
Joint Press Release
By Foreign Ministers of Japan and the Islamic Republic of Iran
5 March 2014
H.E. Dr. Mohammad Javad Zarif, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, met with H.E. Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, in Tokyo on 5 March 2014. In accordance with the Joint Communiqué issued in Tehran on 10 November 2013, the two ministers discussed the following issues:
With regard to the bilateral relations, the two ministers,
· Reaffirmed the importance of holding high-level talks and regular bilateral dialogues and consultations;
· Welcomed recent efforts for strengthening cooperation in the field of environment and implementing various projects including preservation project of Lake Ormia;
· Confirmed to hold the Bilateral Consultations on Culture in order to further enhance cultural, intellectual and human exchanges;
· Reaffirmed the importance of trade between the two countries; and
· Reaffirmed to cooperate in the justice field and expressed their willingness to conclude a bilateral treaty regarding the transfer of sentenced persons as soon as possible.
With regard to the regional and international issues, the two ministers,
· Welcomed the steady implementation of the Joint Plan of Action between EU3+3 and Iran and expressed their intention to make further efforts towards a comprehensive solution of the nuclear issue of Iran;
· Reaffirmed the importance of playing a constructive role in the issues such as political stability of the Middle East; and in ensuring the rule of law, unimpeded trade, and the freedom and safety of navigation on the sea-lanes of communications;
· Affirmed their determination to prevent WMD proliferation in Northeast Asia and the Middle East;
· Welcomed international efforts to create a Middle East zone free from nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction;
· Highly appreciated that Japan co-sponsored the resolution of "A World against Violence and Violent Extremism" introduced by the Islamic Republic of Iran at the United Nations General Assembly in 2013 and that the Islamic Republic of Iran expressed its support to Japan's constructive role as a member of United Nations organizations; and
· Reiterated their desire for closer co-operation in counter measures against narcotics trafficking and capacity building assistance for border controls in Afghanistan and welcomed Japan's commitments in this regard.
© PanOrient News All Rights Reserved.