Antinuclear Activists Asked to Remove Tents
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) on Tuesday urged antinuclear activists who have pitched tents on the sidewalk corner facing the building of Ministry to take them down and leave the site, citing fire safety.
METI minister Yukio Edano told a press conference that a small fire occurred late last year caused by a gasoline-powered generator used by the activists.
Since the nuclear accident at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, triggered by last March's massive earthquake and tsunami, scenes of civilians holding antinuclear demonstrations in front of the ministry have become commonplace.
The tents were set up last September, and the ministry has been asking activists to take them down in accordance with National Property Law.
The activists held banners saying “We Are Anti-Nuclear,” and “Don’t Restart Nuclear Plants.” One of the banners said "Occupy Kasumigasaki," the district in Tokyo where many government buildings are concentrated.
© PanOrient News All Rights Reserved.